Seja seguidor deste blog e receba novas postagens no seu email

sexta-feira, 15 de abril de 2022

ETHICS AND INTEGRITY

 
















ETHICS AND INTEGRITY  are essential requirements, which our country  Brazil is so sorely lacking. 



Were it not for the absolute lack of these elements, our country would certainly be at another level of development. 

I mention these two terms together because one doesn't work without the other. I know some executives who are currently responsible for their companies' ethical standards, but who never had enough integrity to do so. Nothing worse than charging others, which you never practiced. It is like putting “ the fox taking care of the chicken place ”, as we have seen in both private companies and public agencies.

A few years ago I worked in a multinational that was bought by another larger multinational. I remained in the company as Controller of one of the business units, which included being "Plant Controller".  
About 2 months after the company's integration, the environment and engineering manager approached me, and asked if we should opt for services without a quote in the event of the appointment of the CEO. I asked him to explain further, and he said: 

"  we will need to regularize the unit's documentation with the city hall and I will need the support of a specialized professional, it happens that we always receive a company that charges a reasonable price and provides good service. In addition, we have as a rule to obtain at least 3 price quotes. However, I received a visit from a service provider who said he would do the service, as he was already working for the headquarters.

I asked the manager what was the price that the "indicated" would charge, who informed me that the provider did not give a price beforehand and that he would send the invoice after the service was performed, and that he had always worked that way. I said: tell him he'll have to send a quote, otherwise he wouldn't be hired. After much resistance we managed to get the nominee to agree to send the quote.

The next day the manager came back and presented me with the quotes. The service provider appointed by the president had quoted a price at least three times higher, that is, while the other service provider had quoted about R$2,500.00, the one indicated by the president had quoted about R$7,500.00. The manager asked me which one to hire. 

I answered: 

Do you still have doubts? If you are sure of the quality of the professional who gave the cheapest price, do not hesitate to hire him. 


I asked him to give me the quotes, I selected the best option, I signed, dated and noted: service approved, and I also wrote down the conditions of the other professional. Controllers must know that they have an obligation to leave things well documented and evidenced, in addition to always being concerned about following strict ethical standards.

The professional with the best offer was hired and did a great job. I felt the manager's insecurity and fear, as there was a superior order that was not being followed.

A few days later, the CEO, who somehow knew that his nominee had not been hired, angrily called the COO and said, why wasn't "so-and-so" hired to do the job. The COO who could say,  The chosen provider that did the service submitted a bid at one-third of "so-and-so"'s price." 



The Director was a political guy and a flatterer of the president, that's why he said:  "so-and-so" was not hired because the controller told us not to hire. " Of course I gained an enemy who later tried to take me down and harm me in various ways.


But that's life, there are many people without ethics and without integrity, installed in the power of many private and public companies. They are responsible for many wrongdoings, injustices and acts for their own benefit. Always have horror, a certain disgust and no fear of these types of people. 

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

VEJAM TAMBÉM